When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the thumbs up?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm hits can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Rob's Albertan Service Experts, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover may keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a secure place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you notice any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Rob's Albertan Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that bad weather doesn’t hit us in Edmonton, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Edmonton or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has gone through, give us a call at 780-800-9047 or schedule an appointment with Rob's Albertan Service Experts through our online scheduler.