Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other addition to your home, being comfortable in your new space throughout the year is important. However, they can make a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is because installing ductwork is pricey. And that your heating and cooling system may not be work properly with the increased load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to add a mini-split. This system offers energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork required. Discover more about mini-splits and how adding one to your addition could be a great fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Operate
A ductless mini-split has an outdoor condenser that can link to several indoor units. These units are space savers, quiet and usually placed on the wall. These systems shift heat from indoor or outdoor air, so they’re commonly called a mini-split heat pump, as they’re nearly identical to ducted heat pumps that have been used in southern climates for decades.
Heat pumps are extremely energy efficient since they shift heat to make your addition cozier. In actuality, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for added rebates and decrease your heating and cooling costs for many years.
Another special feature includes zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has a dedicated indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. For example, a mini-split AC is especially helpful if you have a area with precise temperature needs, such as a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Room
Installing a mini-split system is worth it for spaces that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and relying on your existing heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Installing ductwork in your new addition can add up quickly. Although the total cost will depend on your house, it could be thousands of dollars.
- Your present home comfort system may become overwhelmed. When your present heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your house in advance of the addition. This may overwhelm your system and make it fail more quickly.
- Your comfort could decrease. As your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could decrease if your system is forced to take care of a larger location. Your heating and cooling may be less efficient, and your electricity and gas expenses might get more expensive as a result of the system needing to operate more frequently.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like traditional systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most popular sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Rob's Albertan Service Experts, we’ll help you get the proper size for your new area. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can create huge energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or more when properly serviced. ENERGY STAR says installing one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, when compared to an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Rob's Albertan Service Experts for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you select the right model to delivering Expert mini-split installation, Rob's Albertan Service Experts can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re thinking about a home addition or recently completed one, we can provide assistance. Contact us at 780-800-9047 now to request a free consultation and estimate.