Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat to come back in to home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than need be. While the air conditioner is your best source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, on top of air conditioner service, to help keep the Edmonton heat out and help your air conditioner last through the remaining days of summer.
Here are some tips from Rob's Albertan Service Experts to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by reaping the benefits of solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At the minimum, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The areas in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Check out your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can arrange for a complete comfort performance assessment for you to uncover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Check your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that might be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that might generate heat for evenings after the temperature outside cools off. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and give those appliances the night off.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The ultimate impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After hearing about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option might simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is keeping cool temperatures despite following the tips listed above, it could mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to ensure your equipment is working as it should be and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than necessary. Give Rob's Albertan Service Experts in Edmonton or set up an appointment online to have a pro check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s operating correctly.