Cooler months in Edmonton are here. In fact, the months of October through February have a record of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances taking place throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, arrange an annual furnace service now, before the middle of winter arrives.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace could release deadly carbon monoxide gas, but greater than half don't do anything to keep it from happening.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be surprisingly harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be thought of as the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the ability to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not working correctly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any possible issues. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Be sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Search for any other weird things that might compromise your safety
- Help you find any additional areas where you may want to consider adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is working at its top efficiency, helping provide peace-of-mind that you’re in an ideal spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers may require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the team at Rob's Albertan Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 780-800-9047 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the cooler months.