How to Stop Carbon Monoxide in Your Edmonton Home

February 11, 2015

According to a 2012 report by the National Fire Protection Association, fire departments attend to an average of 72,000 carbon monoxide cases each year. Carbon Monoxide, or CO2, is a colorless, odorless gas by-product of burnt fuel. It’s often connected to wood stoves, car engines and other fire combustion sources including gas or oil furnaces.

Why is CO2 awareness so important?

Carbon monoxide can be deadly; its that simple. CO2 is tops when ranking leading reasons of accidental poisoning deaths in the US*, and conditions of CO2 poisoning can be mistakenly labeled as the flu, viral infections and continuous fatigue, among many others. This makes CO2 poisoning the invisible killer that needs to be taken seriously by every Edmonton homeowner. Serious poisoning takes place from intaking large concentrations of CO2, but poisoning can also occur over many months or years. Some signs may include nausea, vomiting, flu-like symptoms, dizziness and fatigue.

So what can you do?

  1. If you don’t have a CO2 detector in your home, get one right away. You can call Rob's Albertan Service Experts to purchase one today.
  2. Existing CO2 detectors should be checked regularly (at least every 90 days). It's also recommended to replace the detector every 3-5 years.
  3. If you experience or have experienced a few of the symptoms stated above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning, and get a second opinion if necessary.

*emedicinehealth.com. Prevention information for Carbon Monoxide poisoning may be inaccurate or incomplete; none of these methods guarantee prevention of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Contact Us