Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as dangerous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is scary and may even be a matter of life and death, so it should not be treated lightly. What is extremely concerning is that it is hard to detect because it is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Rob's Albertan Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Edmonton to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, be sure to regularly check or replace the batteries. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Rob's Albertan Service Experts in Edmonton at 780-800-9047 to learn more.